Digital mixing has revolutionized virtually everything in the live-entertainment production workflow. Now Behringer's come up with the perfect solution for connecting the onstage talent with your Front of House (FOH) console, and the rest of the world – the ultra-cool and ultra-affordable SD16 Stage Box! The SD16 provides 16 MIDAS-designed remote-controllable mic preamps, 8 balanced analog XLR returns at the stage end, plus an integrated 4-port ULTRANET distribution hub for direct connection to our P16-M personal monitor mixers – without any additional hardware required. Plus, the SD16 is extremely compact and comes with rugged protective bumpers, so you can toss them directly on stage wherever you need them. The best part – all it takes is a single Cat 5e cable per stage box. And If you need more inputs, or just want to keep your cable runs short and tidy, putting an SD16 at stage front and another behind the drum riser gives you an additional 16 inputs for drum and guitar/bass amp mic’ing.
When used as part of a complete X32 system, as many as three SD16 Stage Boxes can be cascaded via the built-in AES50 ports to provide up to 48 bidirectional inputs and 24 balanced XLR outputs. An onboard ULTRANET distribution hub provides power and 16 channels of audio to 4 BEHRINGER POWERPLAY P16-M personal monitor mixers per SD16, all via inexpensive Cat 5e cabling – and without any additional hardware. Two of the programmable inputs are also compatible with Hi-Z sources, so you can connect keyboards, acoustic and bass guitars, etc., with no DI box required. The SD16 also features a USB port for fast and easy system updates via your PC.
Ever since its formation in the 1970s, MIDAS has had a long history of innovation and leadership in the world of audio mixing consoles. Employed by the most famous touring acts and installations world-wide, legendary MIDAS consoles such as the XL4 and Heritage H3000 quickly became industry standards.
MIDAS has earned their impeccable reputation due to their no-compromise approach for audio and build quality and in particular for their Award-winning Mic Preamps which are considered by industry experts as the industry’s best sounding designs. Building on this legacy, the XL8 and PRO Series of Live Mixing Systems continue this great heritage of Award-winning audio quality.
BEHRINGER is proud to incorporate MIDAS designed mic preamps for the ultimate in high-quality audio reproduction in both live and studio environments.
The SD16 Stage Box is a studio/live sound engineer’s dream come true. Setup is extremely easy, with virtually all parameter control taking place at the console – including the award-winning MIDAS-designed mic preamps, +48 V phantom power, destination routing, etc. Just put the SD16 where you want it, run a few Cat 5e, mic and instrument cables – and head for the console. The SD16 makes setting the stage up virtually foolproof!
The SD8 features 8 XLR balanced outputs, allowing you to connect to your amp racks, active loudspeakers and monitors. Thanks to its reference-class Cirrus Logic* 24-bit converters, SD8’s digital operation eliminates even the slightest possibility of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and crosstalk. You get ultra-pristine audio performance, no matter the application – something unheard of in this class!
KLARK TEKNIK SuperMAC (AES50-Compliant) technology gives the SD16 its high-capacity, ultra-low latency digital interconnectivity, as well as superbly simple deployment and ease of use. KLARK TEKNIK engineers worked hand-in-hand with BEHRINGER to ensure the SD16 meets, or exceeds, the requirements of live entertainers and their professional audio engineers. Some of the outstanding features are:
- 48 bidirectional audio channels over Cat 5e cable (48 kHz)
- 24 bidirectional audio channels over Cat 5e cable (96 kHz)
- Single cable duplex interconnection for audio and sample clocks
- Ethernet physical layer audio data transmission
- High channel count and ultra-low deterministic latency
- Accurate phase-aligned clock distribution.
- Comprehensive error detection and management
- Provision for redundant networking
- Minimal confi guration – total ease of deployment and use
- Ethernet TCP/IP protocol-compatible auxiliary data channel
- Royalty-free implementations available as Xilinx FPGA cores
- OEM modules available from developer partners
The world-renowned engineers at KLARK TEKNIK, MIDAS, TURBOSOUND and BEHRINGER have all come together to create something truly innovative that will change your live and studio workflow forever – welcome to ULTRANET. This revolutionary technology seamlessly transmits up to 16 independent channels of 24-bit digital audio and control data via a single Cat 5e cable between compatible digital devices – including mixers, I/O stage boxes, powered loudspeakers and personal monitoring systems. Advantages realized through ULTRANET digital networking, versus traditional analog methods, include: all audio signals are impervious to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI); signal crosstalk is eliminated, and ease of use translates directly into a significant amount of time saved during show setup or installation. And the SD16’s onboard ULTRANET distribution hub supplies phantom power over CAT5 directly to your P16-M Personal Monitoring Mixers, eliminating the need for external power adapters. ULTRANET effectuates a powerful digital eco-system that gives you unparalleled ease of deployment, performance and control for BEHRINGER P16 Personal Monitoring Systems and Turbosound iQ Speaker Series.
As you can see, the SD16 is an extremely versatile 16 x 8 digital stage box solution with remote-controllable MIDAS-designed mic preamps, KLARK TEKNIK’s AES50 connectivity and a wealth of other professional-grade features – all at a price anyone can afford! Built tough enough to withstand the rigors of the road, the SD16 connects to FOH with a single, inexpensive Cat 5e cable. Now you can have the missing link between the stage and FOH at a fraction of the cost of competing systems – and they back it with a comprehensive warranty program.
Behringer SD16 Features:
- 16 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- 8 analog, servo-balanced XLR outputs
- AES50 network ports featuring KLARK TEKNIK’s SuperMAC networking capability for ultra-low jitter and latency
- 4-port ULTRANET distribution hub for powered connection of four BEHRINGER P16-M personal monitoring mixers
- Digital audio and control connectivity for TURBOSOUND IQ speaker systems with ULTRANET networking capability
- Rack ears and protection bumpers included for installed and mobile applications
- Dual AES50 ports for cascading multiple units—no merger or router required
- Up to 100 m networking capability via CAT-5e cable (not included)
- USB connector for system updates via PC
- Ultra-compact and roadworthy, all-steel chassis
- 3-Year Warranty Program*
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany